Friday, February 09, 2007

Hiroshima: More than Sadness

Tree in Hiroshima
Hiroshima Museum of Modern Art

Enjoying the afternoon

In accordance with the strange tradtion of photographing one's meal while traveling


Free advertising for a cool little cafe












Five-tiered pagoda
Floating torii, Itsukushima Shrine, Miyajima
Weird shaped shrubs at the Peace Park
The Atomic Bomb Dome
A popular site for school fieldtrips



At the Children's Memorial











Paper cranes. Make a thousand, make a wish- here that wish is "peace".

By a stroke of luck I was given a four day holiday at the end of January, during which time I traveled to Hiroshima with my friend Hannah. We had a wonderful time full of great parks, hip cafés and world-class art museums, punctuated by our stay at the nicest, most friendly family-run hostel in all of Japan (I'm sure it is! ["J-Hoppers" is the name in case you're interested]). Of course, we also visited the many memorial sites around town including the Peace Park, Atomic Bomb Dome, and Atomic Memorial Museum to name a few. All of these sites were quite moving and despite the unavoidable sadness that came along with seeing them, they were extremely valuable and well worth the visit.
Hannah and I also traveled to the nearby island of Miyajima by ferry, where more parks, more temples, more museums, and more bloody deer awaited. This island is also the site of the famous Itsukushima Shrine, known for its "floating" torii, which you will surely recognize in the photos.
All in all it was a great trip. I finally played Pachinko in Hiroshima, a very popular VLT-type machine that ate my 1000 yen bill in less than 5 minutes, and I also got to travel there and back by shinkansen (bullet-train)! Though expensive, it was impossibly convenient, and because of that I highly recommend it (it's so choice!).
Hope you're all having fun, wherever you are and whatever you're doing. Have a steak for me if you can- I just got a sudden craving...

7 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

Amazing pictures Jon! I am so impressed (and jealous). Keep having a great time and updating us at home. All the best,
Laura

8:02 AM  
Blogger Marion said...

Wow Jon, Hiroshima looks like an amazing place. Thanks for the beautiful photos, I hope you finished that dessert!

7:00 AM  
Blogger Jonathan Simpson said...

Thanks again for the comment Laura! It's encouraging to get your kind of support. Hope everything is great with you, and that you're enjoying the more-missable-than-you'd-think Canadian winter. Bye for now!

Jon

8:59 PM  
Blogger Jonathan Simpson said...

Glad you like the photos, Mari- the dessert one was for you. You can bet your socks that we finished it! Thanks for writing,

Jon

9:02 PM  
Blogger martinchan said...

Hi Jon, sorry I haven't tracked your blogs. I messed my computer (if it ain't broken don't fix it, right?). Your mum recently emailed us the correct website to your blogs - so I've been doing some blog catching up. If I ever stay at the J-hoppers I will ask for the Jon Simpson 90% discount. Take care friend. I like how you "keep it real".

4:03 AM  
Blogger martinchan said...

testing password

5:14 AM  
Blogger morganeliasmurray said...

Jon my boy. I thought we lost you. But we found you. So all is well and right with the world again. Phew. Your blog is brilliant, photos amazing. I was thinking of starting up a noise band to tour Japan. You are more than welcome to join the squad. All I can promise is an endless stream of booze, broads, and babes. Bring your camera, we need some promo shots. I think it should be the band in school uniforms in black and white but our hats are red. However in the hell you did that I commend you on awesomeness. Anyway. Drop me a line sometime, morganeliasmurray@gmail.com, check out my version of blog carolineareaman.blogspot.com
or send me a letter about Pharaohs.

Lada,
mm

9:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home